Senior Component Actuation Engineer
Automotive and Mobility Supplier
At AAM, the POWER is in our people. We believe that an equitable and inclusive workplace benefits everyone and that the diversity of our Associates drives creativity and innovation. Our global team of associates is made of dreamers, doers and innovators who are Bringing the Future Faster by Delivering POWER for a safer, brighter and more sustainable tomorrow.
As a member of #TeamAAM, you’ll get to make a difference on day one. You’ll have the opportunity to grow, embrace challenges, build your skills and bring your authentic self to work every day, all while helping to shape the future of mobility for AAM…and the world.
Job Posting TitleSenior Component Actuation Engineer
Job Description SummaryThe Senior Actuation Engineer is responsible to lead the development of actuation components, including technical integrity of the actuation mechanism architecture & components, with adherence to the internal design standards and engineering project/system requirements, timely completion of deliverables, and within engineering project budget.
Engineering project team member from concept design through final system launch, who serves as key interface for specific actuation mechanism.
- Lead the future definition of all actuation mechanism architecture for project integration.
- Has responsibility for component design and release within the product system from concept through full manufacturing launch in accordance with AAM Product Engineering Product Development Process (PE-PDP) and program management launch gate deliverables.
- Analyzes engineering actuation component requirements and develops and executes engineering documentation and work plans to complete all project deliverables, including but not limited to DFMEA; DFM/DFA; GD&T dimension schemes; tolerance stacks; material selection; bills of materials (BoMs); drawings; models; technical specifications; test and analysis plans (DVPs); risk assessments; engineering reports; issues and problem resolutions; etc.
- Utilizes computer aided design (CAD) to create component assembly CAD models with parametric designs that are optimized.
- Utilizes computer aided engineering (CAE) tools, methods, and results to drive the design of components. Performs component FEA, 1D model analyses, and spreadsheet calculations as needed.
- Development testing of subsystems where required (Characterization, Calibration, limit samples, etc.)
- Work with systems engineering and services to release designs and drawings.
- Supports engineering-oriented problem solving (Ishikawa diagrams, 8D, DOEs)
- Continually identifies and capitalizes on efficiencies throughout the design process across multiple areas of engineering.
- Supports cost estimating / engineering and purchasing in meeting costed bill of materials (BOM) targets, and fully understands cost drivers of part designs.
- Create & manage actuation mechanism components risk register.
- Create, release, and maintain documentation in project books.
- Create product specification of actuation mechanism
- Supports creation of engineering project plans, negotiated with internal engineering service functions, to meet engineering project milestones and deliverables.
- Support peer reviews and weekly engineering project status reviews throughout product development process, with focus on compliance to component technical requirements, design standards and project expectations.
- Works with internal and external cross-functional and cross-regional resources and stakeholders in the execution of the development of new actuation architectures and components based on requirements, and supports the integration of those new components into the organization's portfolio of products.
- Actively shares learning and contributes to continuous improvement initiatives.
- All other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Education
- Bachelor's degree in relevant engineering discipline and at least 5 years of product engineering design and development experience. Automotive industry experience preferred. Experience in mechanisms & kinematics preferred.
- Experience with full cycle product launch from concept to start of production within engineering product development processes required.
- Experience in utilizing CAD tools to design components and/or systems. Siemens NX preferred.
- Experience in defining CAE analysis needs with boundary conditions, load cases and managing 3D CAE execution from CAE services, including dynamic analyses required.
- Experience in utilizing state of the art CAE tools and methods to drive the design preferred, with skills including:
- Training and experience with Matlab/Simulink for 1D CAE concept creation, parameters and sizing
- Exposure and experience in Kinematics, utilizing basic CAE tools for concept Dynamics, FEA assessment
- Knowledge of requirement management tools such as Doors preferred.
- 7 - 10 years of driveline or transmission product engineering experience preferred.
About American Axle & Manufacturing
As a leading global Tier 1 Automotive and Mobility Supplier, AAM (NYSE: AXL) designs, engineers and manufactures Driveline and Metal Forming technologies to support electric, hybrid and internal combustion vehicles. Headquartered in Detroit with nearly 85 facilities in 18 countries, AAM is bringing the future faster for a safer and more sustainable future. We work together to support our customers on global and regional platforms with a focus on quality, operational excellence and technology leadership.
With our global footprint, we are committed to building an equitable and inclusive culture that encourages, supports and celebrates the unique voices of our diverse workforce. We are AAM. Move with us, and join #TeamAAM.AAM will not discriminate against any Associate or applicant for employment because of age, race, color, gender, religion, weight, height, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic history or information, gender identity or expression, disability, protected veteran status, national origin, or other characteristic protected by law. AAM will take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are employed, and that Associates are treated equally during employment, without regard to their age, race, color, gender, religion, weight, height, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic history or information, gender identity or expression, disability, protected veteran status, national origin, or other characteristic protected by law. For the Disabled Job Seeker: We offer reasonable accommodations for qualified disabled individuals who are applicants for employment. To request assistance or accommodations, please e-mail [email protected] . AAM is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Unsolicited Resumes from Third-Party Recruiters
Please note that as per AAM policy, we do not accept unsolicited resumes from third-party recruiters unless such recruiters were engaged to provide candidates for a specified opening. Any employment agency, person or entity that submits an unsolicited resume does so with the understanding that AAM will have the right to hire that applicant at its discretion without any fee owed to the submitting employment agency, person or entity.