Senior Controls Engineer
Caldwell Manufacturing Co.
Founded in 1888, Caldwell Manufacturing was a fourth-generation, family-owned business with over 130 years of successful history. In 2022, we were acquired by ASSA ABLOY, the global leader in access solutions, which will continue to strengthen our product and solutions for our core business and customers. We are also growing market share by expanding geographically and through product diversification, building on our reputation for providing solutions that set new standards, innovating new products, and embracing our mission of First in Service, Best in Class which defines our approach to our customers. We have a high feedback culture that is guided by our core values. For Caldwell, this means we will lead in ways that engage our employees and create a passion for our mission in a fun and family-oriented environment.
Design, develops, recommends, implements controls systems to support production tooling and fixtures, equipment upgrades and replacements, and automated equipment and systems. Applies state-of-the-art technology to reduce overall product costs, improve quality, and reduce delivery lead times. Analyzes current manufacturing processes to identify continuous improvement opportunities. Works with manufacturing to accommodate new and upgraded equipment and production lines to ensure the most efficient systems in throughput, material flow, etc. Assists in assembly, testing, debugging, and commissioning of models, prototypes, and production units.
Essential Job Functions and Accountabilities
Lead and manage the design and integration of controls systems of mfg. automation equipment, including schedules, cost monitoring and control, etc.
Investigates improvement potential in design, manufacturing and assembly of components or products with design for manufacturability/automation in mind
Recommends and implements changes to improve performance (i.e. machine throughput, quality levels, delivery lead times, line takt time, etc.)
Specifies and coordinates development and fabrication of controls components and systems to support facilities continuous improvement needs
Expedites design, system, and component delivery to meet project requirements
Identifies and reports deviations from specifications, timing issues, and difficulties with meeting performance objectives
Produces accurate documentation, operating procedures, and provides operator training for production tooling and equipment
Reviews and understands detailed specifications and plans
Prepares detailed designs according to specifications
Produces project supportive documentation, i.e. schematics, panel layouts, etc. which comply with drawing procedures, other engineering controls, and industry safety standards
Works closely with manufacturing staff and product engineering
Generates, updates, and maintains new and current control systems programs
Supports maintenance with information regarding installation, troubleshooting, and adjustments
Calculates performance, outputs, limits, energy usage, etc.
Always conscious of safety in all activities
Estimated 10-20% travel to other facilities
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- A minimum of 8 years’ experience successfully implementing controls systems to support automated equipment and continuous improvement projects within a hands-on manufacturing environment
- Demonstrated ability and experience with troubleshooting automated assembly systems
- Knowledge of implementing pneumatic, hydraulic, motorized, and/or robotic systems for the use of in-house automated manufacturing and assembly systems
- Demonstrated ability to efficiently and effectively program controls systems using PLC’s, HMI’s, servos, robots, and computer-based systems and their respective programming platforms
- Knowledge of effectively implementing vision systems for part acquisition, guidance, etc. as well as component and assembly inspections
- Demonstrated knowledge of computers systems and networking to interface assembly and manufacturing equipment with ERP system(s)
- Effective communication skills including technical writing
- Sound controls system design capability using industry de facto standard or company standards for schematics, panel layouts, etc.
- Strong problem-solving capabilities using root cause analysis, etc.
- Knowledge of metal working, forming, stamping, etc. a plus
- Knowledge of the effectiveness and implementation of Factory 4.0 and IIoT a plus
- Proven ability and desire to mentor mfg. engineering team members sharing knowledge and experience within the controls engineering field
Educational & Certification Requirements
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, Electrical/Mechanical Engineering, or related technical discipline
- 2D CAD Skills, preferably DraftSight and/or AutoCAD
- 3D CAD Skills, preferably SolidWorks/SolidWorks Electrical a plus
- Proficient in use of MS Office Suite
- Project Management Tools, Smartsheet, MS Project or equivalent a plus
Caldwell Manufacturing Company NA, LLC is committed to the policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. This policy expressly prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, genetic predisposition or carrier status, veteran status or status as a member of any other protected group or activity.