Federal Package Network, Inc.
For more than 40 years, Federal Package® has been the preferred contract manufacturer for many of the leading personal care companies. Due to our extensive capabilities and dedication to quality products and services, Federal Package has become the go-to source for companies in the health, beauty and personal care industries searching for all aspects of contract manufacturing including research and development; formulation; blending and filling; decorating and labeling; and health and beauty containers. We offer competitive wages, a lucrative bonus structure, comprehensive benefits package, 401K, and many other additional perks.
The Senior Formulator is responsible for researching, developing, formulating, and testing topical skin care products in the cosmetic and over-the-counter drug categories. Examples of formulas in this area are deodorants, antiperspirants, lip balms, and lotions. This person will research emerging trends and marketed brands, evaluate current and new cosmetic ingredients and experiment with laboratory scale batches of cosmetic formulas to achieve desired characteristics such as color, texture, appearance, fragrance, application and required specifications such as active ingredient levels for sunscreens and skin protectants.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Keep current with industry research and innovations on skincare lotions, deodorants, sunscreens, lip balms, deodorants.
- Ability to formulate both cosmetic and OTC formulas with active ingredients, specifically SPF based products.
- Ability to research trending product benefits and incorporate into new products.
- Evaluate and adjust ingredient levels to achieve formula and aesthetic objectives.
- Manage R&D Laboratory Technicians and operations.
- Provide tactical guidance for design control, process validations and release criteria for new product introductions.
- Monitor, test and inspect prototypes and finished goods for quality and safety as well as meet specified standards.
- Compound bench samples of cosmetic formulas and fill into containers for evaluation.
- Run stability tests on new formulas.
- Work with Process Engineering to transfer new products to Production in accordance with approved data and established quality criteria.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor of Science degree, preferably chemistry.
- Minimum of 5 years R&D laboratory and product development experience with OTC, active ingredients and SPF formulas in a manufacturing environment.
- Extensive knowledge of cosmetic laboratory formulation practices such as researching formula chemistry, batch monitoring and stability studies.
- Evaluation of branded products for aesthetics, ingredient trends and criteria to be used in new formulas.
- Working knowledge of WORD and EXCEL.
Skills and Proficiencies
- Understanding of typical R&D equipment and technology utilized in creating OTC, active ingredients and SPF formulas.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, ability to communicate and work cross functionally.
- Able to work autonomously, as well as direct employees in a R&D lab environment.
- Strong time management, organization, and prioritization skills.
- Able to work on multiple projects with competing priorities and tight deadlines.
- Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Dependent Care Account
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Company Paid Short-Term Disability, Long Term Disability, & Life/AD&D
- 401k contributions
- Summer Flex Time
- Volunteer Time Off
- Bereavement Time Off
- New Parent Paid Leave
- And more!