Senior Network Engineer
Worthington Industries has an exciting future ahead! In 2024, the company will be splitting into two great companies, both operating as they do today with a people-first philosophy. This also means there are some exciting career opportunities on the horizon. We are adding a Network Engineer to our New Worthington business. Apply today if interested.
Worthington Industries is looking for an accountable Cisco Network Engineer (Corporate IT in Columbus) to Architect, Engineer, and Support the enterprise-wide Route/Switch, Wireless, Firewall, VPN and other data networks across multiple remote sites, and two data centers. This engineer must be experienced working with vendors and application teams to gather requirements, and design technical solutions that meet the changing needs of the business. Developing strong relationships within IT, as well as within the business is very important for success in this role. Candidate must work collaboratively, in the spirit of Our Philosophy in all things.
- Designs, installs, and maintains network infrastructure equipment including Routers, Switches, Firewalls, Wireless, VPN, Cloud Networking
- Translate business requirements to effective, efficient, & secure system designs (documented designs); focus on user experience is a must
- Analyzes, identifies, and resolves operational issues related to voice and data communication.
- In coordination with Security staff, adheres to security policies & practices and assists in managing security solutions.
- Provide post-production support and troubleshooting (root cause analysis)
- Remain current on new or emerging tools and solutions that could benefit our business systems
- Test system solutions, working with end users and system owners as needed
- Support, train, and share knowledge with peers, end users, and other teams as needed (Service Desk, End Users, Network, Security, Release Management, etc.)
- Ensure systems perform in an optimal fashion that meets or exceeds business requirements/SLAs; automate tasks, procedures/processes as needed
- Creates and maintains documentation related to network infrastructure plans, diagrams, processes and procedures (design, run books, etc.)
- Provide accurate estimates of work (tasks, hours, etc.), perform work in a timely & quality manner, and report status of work in a timely manner
- Perform in a continuous improvement mode (constantly look for ways to operate more efficiently and effectively; and apply change)
- Assist with technology planning, strategy, and roadmap activities, as needed
- Adhere to department principles, processes, standards, conventions, and industry best practices when performing work
- Ensures business continuity through the implementation of network redundancy and execution of disaster recovery procedures.
- Adheres to defined maintenance windows, change control procedures, and participates in on-call rotation
- Strong working knowledge of network, security, and architecture fundamentals
- Core network competencies include the engineering & troubleshooting of routing/switching protocols & security services to include: OSPF, BGP, TCP/IP Packet Analysis, Spanning Tree, 802.1q VLAN Trunking, and other Layer 2/3 technologies.
- Experience working with WAN circuits and service providers to bring new services into production or troubleshoot existing services.
- High level of familiarity with data center infrastructure deployment in a spine/leaf topology, VDC/VPC (or MLAG) – *Cisco and Arista preferred
- UNIX and scripting experience a plus.
- Experience deploying and maintaining Palo Alto firewalls, as well as leveraging device templates from within Panorama
- Experience configuring connectivity to/from cloud providers, as well as configuring routing, and load-balancing within different cloud environments
- Experience configuring F5 load-balancers for high-availability virtual servers (iRules experience is a plus)
- Ability to train and lead others; to demonstrate excellent internal and external customer service skills; to communicate well verbally and in written form; to be analytical and to lead projects.
- Support POC’s and product/solution evaluations
- Excellent project management skills, demonstrating the ability to plan, organize, and direct a small to medium sized project with little oversight.
- Ability to quickly learn and apply technology is required
- Ability to work in a distributed environment (at least 60+ sites, 5000+ users)
- Requires on-call after hours support (part of on call rotation with team)
- Basic knowledge of ITIL is preferred
- Ability to travel as needed (approx. 10%)
- Strong interpersonal skills, including teamwork and team building
- Strong analytical, technical, and troubleshooting skills
- Solid written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working with enterprise monitoring and performance tools (Solarwinds preferred)
- Strong skills in use of PC desktop applications such as MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams
- Ability to flex work schedules and practices to meet job requirements; requires occasional after-hours support and overnight travel
Desired Education / Training:
- Bachelor's Degree in Information Systems, Computer Systems, Engineering or 3-5 equivalent experience is required.
- 3+ years experience supporting technology in an enterprise setting
- Certifications are strongly preferred. Cisco CCNA or CCNP are highly desirable
Why you will love working here:
- Health, Dental, and Vision insurance that starts on your first day! Employer HSA contribution ($1,000/single or $2,000/family)
- On-site Medical Center, Pharmacy, Barbershop, and fitness center
- 401(K) Match + Employer contribution
- Tuition assistance for continuing or career-related education
- As Our Philosophy states: People are our most important asset. Ample opportunity for career growth- we promote from within
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Work Schedule
- Quarterly profit sharing (with no cap!) + restricted stock award program