SENIOR PROCESS SAFETY ENGINEER – Hiring Bonus 10K+ Based upon exp.
Job Description and Qualifications
At Air Products, our purpose is to bring people together to reimagine what’s possible, collaborate and innovate solutions to the world’s most significant energy and environmental sustainability challenges. Grow with us as we embark on building tomorrow together by being the safest, most diverse and most profitable industrial gas company in the world.
Reimagine What’s Possible
Hiring Bonus $10K+ Based upon experience.
Air Products and Chemicals, Inc., a world-leading Industrial Gases company, has an immediate opening for a Senior Process Safety Engineer located in our new Engineering office in Buffalo, NY.
The successful candidate will be a member of Americas Engineering Process Safety team with direct responsibilities for leading Process Safety activities on new capital projects. The project activities will focus on grassroots facilities that sustainably convert abundant natural resources into syngas for the production of high-value power, fuels and chemicals; carbon capture projects; and world-scale carbon-free hydrogen projects supporting global transportation and the energy transition.
The Senior Process Safety Engineer will work as part of the project team providing Process Safety deliverables, technical leadership, and engineering guidance in support of the project design. This will start during the proposal phase through basic and detailed engineering until commissioning and startup of the plant.
- Lead process hazard reviews to determine hazard scenarios. Lead LOPA studies to ensure adequate safeguards exists to meet corporate risk targets.
- Perform consequence modeling for facility siting, atmospheric vents and flares. This will include dispersion analysis, thermal radiation studies, and pool fire scenarios analysis.
- Prepare occupied building siting report in accordance with API 752.
- Prepare Hazardous Area Electrical Classification schedule following applicable regional codes: NEC 500/505, NFPA 70, API RP 500/505
- Prepare fire protection deliverables including fire hazard analysis, firewater demand basis, fireproofing schedule, and Fire & Gas Detector location plans.
- Help develop site plot plan layout with proper equipment separation distances.
- Help determine emergency response requirements.
- Participate in the Site Vulnerability Assessment
- Travel to site in support of commissioning and start-up may be required.
- Typical travel is 5%
- Be self-motivated and have good engineering problem-solving, interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills along with a passion for safety.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in chemical or mechanical Engineering.
- Minor in Process Safety a plus.
- Minimum of 5 years working as a Process Safety Engineer for an EPC or design function of an operating company. Experience with Ammonia synthesis, Syngas generation (Steam methane reforming, Autothermal reformers, Partial oxidation reactors), Hydrogen separation/liquefaction, Electrolysis, CO2 capture/purification, or Cryogenic Air Separation experience preferred.
- Experience in process safety management (PSM), hazard identification techniques, quantitative risk analysis, facility siting and regional regulatory codes & standards.
- Experience leading/facilitating hazard review and LOPA studies.
- Experience using software tools such as DNV PHAST, PHAWorks, and Pipenet.
- Experience in safety monitoring equipment, instrumentation, process control, HVAC, and electrical design is a plus.
We are the world’s largest hydrogen producer with over 80 years of industrial gas experience. We are hydrogen experts delivering safe, end-to-end solutions, investing in real, clean energy projects at scale, and driving the industry forward to generate a cleaner future.
At Air Products, we work in an environment where we put safety first, diversity is essential, inclusion is our culture, and each person knows they belong and matter. To learn more, visit About Air Products.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including paid holidays and vacation, affordable medical, dental, life insurance and retirement plans. You will be eligible for benefits and also be 100% vested in your retirement benefits on your first day of employment.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer (U.S.). You will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, citizenship, gender, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or veteran status.
Air Products is committed to working with and providing a reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability and you believe you need a reasonable accommodation to search for a job opening or to submit an online application, please e-mail us at [email protected]. General application status inquiries are not answered by this mailbox rather you’ll receive an e-mail directly from our Career Center and/or the Talent Acquisition Specialist.