Senior R&D/TS&D Technician
Dow Chemical Company
At Dow, we believe in putting people first and we’re passionate about delivering integrity, respect and safety to our customers, our employees and the planet.
Our people are at the heart of our solutions. They reflect the communities we live in and the world where we do business. Their diversity is our strength. We’re a community of relentless problem solvers that offers the daily opportunity to contribute with your perspective, transform industries and shape the future. Our purpose is simple - to deliver a sustainable future for the world through science and collaboration. If you’re looking for a challenge and meaningful role, you’re in the right place.
About You and This Role:
The Dow Chemical Company has an exciting and challenging opportunity for a Senior R&D/TS&D Technician in the Industrial Coatings segment, part of Dow Coating Materials (DCM) located in Collegeville, PA.
DCM provides innovative raw material technologies that help advance the performance and sustainability of a broad portfolio of polymeric binders, dispersants, rheology modifiers, surfactants, defoamers, and wetting agents for a wide variety of end markets, including paints, pavement markings, industrial coatings, paper coatings, metal packaging, and performance additives.
DCM's product portfolio for Industrial Coatings includes a range of products and chemistries used to improve performance, ease of application, and sustainability of waterborne coatings across a range of end-use markets and applications including Paper Packaging, Pavement Markings, Industrial Asset Protection, and Liquid Applied Sound Dampening. We offer a broad portfolio of technologies that are well-known in the industry and have earned a reputation for excellence.
In this role you will provide laboratory support for a wide range of activities including new product development, customer-driven projects, and product & process improvements. You will have the opportunity to work closely with both the Applications R&D and Technical Service & Development teams on these activities. Strong communication, project prioritization, and data organization skills are important for success. Inclusion and diversity are critical to the Industrial Coatings team’s success, and we would love to include your unique perspectives to drive innovation, customer satisfaction, and profitable growth.
- Work as part of a team in a laboratory supporting chemists and engineers in developing, screening, and commercializing new products.
- Interact and communicate effectively with Industrial Coatings R&D team to support delivery of innovation projects and generate strategic market-relevant data to drive new business development in partnership with project teams.
- Conduct a variety of formulation preparation and testing, including physical property characterization, application performance evaluations, and other testing as necessary.
- Conduct laboratory experiments with high degree of independence, effectively analyze and communicate results, and provide recommendations on next steps.
- Handle complex laboratory tasks including methods and procedures and recommend variations in problem-solving approach.
- Hold essential know-how on safe operation of small-scale and large-scale laboratory equipment and change management processes, and implement these to Dow standards.
- Ensure safe and reliable operation of laboratory equipment though equipment ownership, maintenance & troubleshooting, and calibration.
- Contribute to the acquisition of new equipment and capabilities, including equipment selection, installation, and drafting of safe operating procedures.
- Define and implement new testing methods for application development purposes which may require creating unique configurations of existing equipment or development/fabrication of new equipment, test methodologies, and documenting new procedures.
- Actively participate in work group team meetings to address safety, process improvement, problem solving, and other work group, department, and functional topics.
- Understand the value of high-quality data and utilize good laboratory techniques and practices to generate such data. Accurately and reliably record readings and observations using relevant equipment and instruments.
- Maintain inventories of consumable materials, chemicals, and supplies related to activities by anticipating usage rates, order lead times, and ordering/purchasing procedures.
- Use knowledge of relevant technology consisting of product, test methods, industry standards, and testing equipment to efficiently complete projects.
- Document laboratory findings in a timely and well-organized manner.
- Interact and communicate effectively with other groups and departments to streamline critical laboratory operations (e.g., sample shipping, analytical support, etc.)
- Train other work group members and contractors on specific work processes, equipment, and machinery.
- A minimum of an associate degree in a technical field or 3 years+ military training/experience.
- Must be 18 years old or older.
- A minimum requirement for this U.S. based position is the ability to work legally in the United States. No visa sponsorship/support is available for this position, including for any type of U.S. permanent residency (green card) process.
- Able to meet the following physical demands of the job, with or without reasonable accommodations:
- Frequent/occasional Lifting, pushing, and pulling material weighing approximately 50 lbs.
- Frequent bending, reaching, and lifting.
- Stand 50% of the time.
- Climb stairs and ladders.
- Wear all required personal protective equipment.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field or U.S. E6 ranking OR Canadian Petty Officer 2nd Class ranking
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with regularly shifting priorities.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organization skills.
- Able to work in a team environment.
- Experience with analytical equipment, methodologies, and capabilities.
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications, such as Word and Excel, ability to organize and summarize experimental data, and ability to learn new systems quickly.
- Desire to learn and grow in a dynamic technology and market segment.
The Dow Chemical Company does not offer relocation assistance for this position. This includes reimbursement for travel expenses incurred to and from test sessions/interviews. If you apply for a position that is not within the area in which you reside, you will be responsible for all costs that you incur.
Benefits – What Dow offers you
We invest in you.
Dow invests in total rewards programs to help you manage all aspects of you: your pay, your health, your life, your future, and your career. You bring your background, talent and perspective to work every day. Dow rewards that commitment by investing in your total wellbeing.
Here are just a few highlights of what you would be offered as a Dow employee:
- Equitable and market-competitive base pay and bonus opportunity across our global markets, along with locally relevant incentives.
- Benefits and programs to support your physical, mental and emotional well-being, to help you get the care you need...when you need it.
- Competitive retirement program that may include company-provided benefits, savings opportunities, financial planning and educational resources to help you achieve your long term financial-goals.
- Become a Dow shareholder through various employee stock programs.
- Opportunities to learn and grow through training and mentoring, work experiences, community involvement and team building.
- Workplace culture empowering role-based flexibility to maximize personal productivity and balance personal needs.
- Global Paid Time Off (PTO) policies:
- Paid time off for new parents (birthing and non-birthing, including adoptive and foster parents).
- Paid time off to care for family members who are sick or injured.
- Paid time off to support volunteering and Employee Resource Group’s (ERG) participation.
Join our team, we can make a difference together.
Dow (NYSE: DOW) combines global breadth; asset integration and scale; focused innovation and materials science expertise; leading business positions; and environmental, social and governance leadership to achieve profitable growth and help deliver a sustainable future. The Company's ambition is to become the most innovative, customer centric, inclusive and sustainable materials science company in the world. Dow's portfolio of plastics, industrial intermediates, coatings and silicones businesses delivers a broad range of differentiated, science-based products and solutions for its customers in high-growth market segments, such as packaging, infrastructure, mobility and consumer applications. Dow operates manufacturing sites in 31 countries and employs approximately 37,800 people. Dow delivered sales of approximately $57 billion in 2022. References to Dow or the Company mean Dow Inc. and its subsidiaries. For more information, please visit www.dow.com or follow @DowNewsroom on Twitter.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Dow is committed to equal opportunities in employment. We encourage every employee to bring their whole self to work each day to not only deliver more value, but also have a more fulfilling career. Further information regarding Dow's equal opportunities is available on www.dow.com.Dow is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and is committed to providing opportunities without regard for race, color, religion, sex, including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity, national origin, age, disability and genetic information, including family medical history. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may call us at 1-833-My Dow HR (833-693-6947) and select option 8. ID:uDnQdo