SHIP FITTER 1ST
Lyon Shipyard has openings for quality Ship Fitters. We are hiring now for our location in Norfolk, VA. If you take pride in your work and want to be around others who feel the same way then apply for this position.
We are looking for 1st Class people with at least 5 to 7 years full time working as a Fitter. If you have the following background let us know your available.
• Must be able to read blueprints and Template creation
• Working with presses, floor shaping, forming plates, shaping from templates, marking symbols, doors, hatches and scuttles, rolls, presses and blacksmith shop
• Laying out blueprints and outfitting items
• Laying out blueprints, checking and fitting materials, tack welding of various sub-assemblies peculiar to the panel line and shell area such as decks, bulkheads, side shells
• Working on ship ways with the erection of units and installation of structural items
• Installation of structural outfit items, doors, ladders, foundations
• Effective sequencing of assembly and fitting
• Correct use of heating torches in plate heat straightening and shrinkage
• Ability to use hand and power tools
• Shop and field fabrication
• Adherence to industry codes, regulations, and specifications
• Tack welding
• Install simple systems without templates and blueprints
• Bulkhead and deck inserting
• Riveted and deck inserting
• Read and understand the Chemist and Competent Persons report and determine if job sites, particularly those involving combustible material, are safe for personnel and hot work
• Understand and act upon instruction
• Work independently to complete responsibilities
Recognizing the value of diversity and full inclusion of its human capital, Lyon Shipyard extends equal opportunity for employment to all individuals, regardless of race, age, color, creed, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, disability, veteran status or military service, pregnancy, genetic information or atypical hereditary cellular or blood trait, gender identity or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, affectional or sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. The Company has developed and instituted policies, procedures, and practices to ensure a harassment and retaliation-free environment and non-discrimination in recruitment, hiring, placement, compensation, benefits, promotion or demotion, transfer, layoff, return from layoff, discipline, termination, and company sponsored training, and reasonable accommodations for disability or religion. It is company policy to protect employees and applicants from discharge or other discrimination if they inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants.