San Diego, CA
Business Unit:Cubic Transportation Systems
Company Details:At Cubic we’re changing the way people travel – to work, to school, to wherever they want or need to go, and home again. Come join our team of data experts as we build innovative technologies and leverage the latest data science techniques to tackle transportation’s most pressing challenges. As a global company our work impacts the lives of millions of people around the world in cities like London, New York, Sydney, and many more. Cubic is the analytics center of excellence and we are using data to optimize transit networks, reduce road congestion, improve the travel experience, and minimize each city’s carbon footprint.
You will collaborate with a diverse group of talented professionals who are as passionate about their work as you are, and are committed to delivering only the highest quality solutions. We are an agile team and this means you’re empowered to deliver the best results, have the opportunity to influence all aspects of the business, and know that each contribution you make is significant. In an industry where Cubic is a world leader, we’re driving a paradigm shift in how transportation services are planned, delivered, and consumed to better meet the needs of an increasing and ever-more concentrated urban population. Don’t take a backseat. Join Cubic and be instrumental in driving the future of travel.
Job Summary: Plays a critical role in ensuring that enterprise applications are designed, developed, and implemented across the enterprise meeting the best practices and architectural patterns. Incumbents in this position will be involved in every phase of the project lifecycle from intake through delivery and will be considered one of the leadership team members who have primary responsibility that a solution is well engineered, operable, and maintainable, delivered on schedule, aligns to enterprise vision and provides the anticipated business value. The Systems Architect is responsible for defining, documenting, and leading the technical development of these applications. This position typically works under limited supervision and direction. Incumbents of this position will regularly exercise discretionary and substantial decision-making authority.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Researches the latest in industry trends along with the needs of the organization while also being a strong advocate for flexible and robust technology.
- Experiments and provides proof of concept with emerging technologies, while developing enterprise-wide architectures, standards, design guides, processes, and other reference guides in a leadership role.
- Provides architectural direction, 3rd party vendor evaluations, analysis of external party integration, detailed estimation, schedule development, assesses resourcing needs during proposal & bids, part of existing programs or R&D efforts.
- Leads creation of and is accountable for system design documentation, including enterprise architectures, feature designs, and interface specifications.
- Oversees detailed technical designs created by development teams.
- Knowledgeable about SaaS software, software licensing and able to explain both the design and business model of a SaaS system.
- Keeps up-to-date on the latest developments in systems engineering, computers, communications systems, and software techniques relevant to the company’s operation.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Four-year college degree in computer science, engineering, or related field.
- Ten (10)+ years of related experience or advanced degree with eight years of related experience.
- About five years of experience in an Architect or Lead role, leading requirements analysis, design, development, and operation of distributed, fault-tolerant applications with particular attention to security, scalability, performance, availability, and cost/revenue optimization.
- Demonstrates expertise and leadership in working with business units, product management, development, and operations staff to architect innovative solutions that meet the requirements with respect to functionality, performance, scalability, reliability, realistic implementation schedules, and adherence to architectural goals and principles.
- Demonstrates technical expertise in Enterprise development, REST, JSON, and general Design and Architecture.
- Understanding of the latest Java design patterns, Java frameworks (spring boot), messaging frameworks (Kafka), caching framework (Redis), microservices, and latest architectural patterns like event-driven architecture, pipeline architecture, etc.
- Experience with Relational and NoSQL databases.
- Ability to drive technical designs to consensus and approval. Designs solutions for specific use cases that provide frameworks, interfaces, and services that can be extended and reused for future requirements.
- Demonstrates expertise in broad and deep research, often going outside of their area of individual experience. Able to synthesize conclusions from research and compare various solutions.
- Experience with architecting high-volume web systems or large transaction client-server systems.
- Working knowledge of TOGAF, Zachman, Agile Architecture, FEA, or other enterprise architecture methodologies; certification a plus.
- Excellent communication and relationship skills, especially the ability to articulate advanced technical topics to both technical and non-technical staff, peers, superiors, and outside parties (e.g. vendors, partners).
- Demonstrable analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong presentation skills, ability to be called upon as subject matter expert for detailed technical reviews and customer presentations.
- Ability to quickly learn and understand the goals and requirements of the businesses supported by technology solutions.
- Ability to contribute to, and balance delivery against, multiple projects/demands simultaneously.
- Broad experience across business analysis, product design, engineering, QA, operations, and sustainment in a large corporation/enterprise environment is required.
The description provided above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties, responsibilities and requirements. Duties, responsibilities and requirements may change over time and according to business need.
(San Diego only***) Targeted full-time [salary/hourly] range between $141,007 - $177,791 + benefits.
***Note: Disclosure of the pay scale data as required by Labor Code Section 432.3.
The Cubic pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.