Sr Eng – Project Development Engineer – Hybrid locations
Job Description and Qualifications
At Air Products, our purpose is to bring people together to reimagine what’s possible, collaborate and innovate solutions to the world’s most significant energy and environmental sustainability challenges. Grow with us as we embark on building tomorrow together by being the safest, most diverse, and most profitable industrial gas company in the world.
Reimagine What’s PossibleDo you enjoy working within a team where you can make a positive impact? We have an opportunity for you!
Air Products, the leading global hydrogen provider, is a world-leading Industrial Gases company. We strive to be the safest, most diverse, and most profitable industrial gas company in the world, providing excellent service to our customers.
We are seeking a Project Development Engineer (PDE) to lead the front end scope development phase for a variety of small to large capital projects, outages/turnarounds, and life extension analysis in our fleet of company owned and operated facilities (steam methane reformers, air separation units, and others) located throughout North America. You are a self-starting team leader who will drive the front-end scope development of capital and expense projects to ensure safe and reliable operation. Safety is your highest value in all dimensions, from personnel to process safety. You enjoy a fast-paced environment leading dynamic interaction among a technically strong team of operations, maintenance, commercial, and engineering disciplines. The continual pursuit for improvement, from improving fleet safety and reliability to work processes and plant efficiency, excites you. You enjoy bridging the worlds of operations, maintenance, engineering, commercial, and finance. You are excited by fast-paced startups combined with the resources and knowledge of a mature operation, to drive decisions forward from team input while prioritizing business needs.
- Geographical Scope: USA and Canada
- Budget Planning Responsibility: $5-50 million per project
- Travel: Position requires approximately 20-40% travel, domestic and international travel.
- Home Office: Gonzales LA, Pasadena TX, Long Beach CA, or Allentown PA
- Functional interaction with:
- Operations Line Management
- Commercial/Asset Managers
- Operations and Maintenance Teams
- Subject Matter Experts (Process Engineering, Process Controls, Electrical, Machinery, Pressure Systems, Mechanical Integrity, etc)
- Financial Analysts, Business Decision Support
- Corporate Accounting and Tax
- Project Engineers and Construction Supervisors
- Mechanical, Instrument, and Electrical Planners
- Project Controls/Technicians
- Corporate and Technical Engineering Functions
- EH&S Specialists
- Direct Reporting Staff: none
- High ethical standards - unwilling to compromise on worker safety and regulatory compliance requirements. Prioritize safety culture in all phases of scoping and project development, to achieve zero injuries.
- Influencer – drive scope recommendations, alternatives, and decisions by influencing without authority.
- Scope and Estimates - Drive the scope development of capital, turnaround, and life extension needs for operating plants. Work closely with operations, maintenance, and engineering functions to develop scopes based on risk evaluation. Estimation of capital projects and turnarounds. Identify long lead capital requirements.
- Schedules - Develop schedules for capital projects and turnarounds, working with operations and commercial teams to prioritize business needs.
- Business and Financials - Write expenditure funding requests for capital projects and turnarounds. Familiarity with estimating financial impacts of proposed projects, such as with pay back periods, depreciation impacts, asset write off, etc. Commercial acumen on cost/risk of capital spend.
- Drive Continuous Improvement of work processes and tools.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Self-starter with strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Presentation – comfortable presenting to leadership and upper management, including documents (such as slides) and emails. with a high degree of professionalism.
- Organizational credibility - influence commercial, engineering, and operations teams in decision making process
- 5+ years of experience in capital project management, maintenance, outages, and/or operations of brownfield industrial settings such as refineries, petrochemical, or industrial gases.
- Development of scopes, estimates, and schedules with strong intrapersonal (“soft”) skills
- B.S. Mechanical/Chemical or similar Technical Engineering Degree
- Legally authorized to work in the United States of America indefinitely without sponsorship
- Ability to obtain Passport and TWIC card
We are the world’s largest hydrogen producer with over 80 years of industrial gas experience. We are hydrogen experts delivering safe, end-to-end solutions, investing in real, clean energy projects at scale, and driving the industry forward to generate a cleaner future.
At Air Products, we work in an environment where we put safety first, diversity is essential, inclusion is our culture, and each person knows they belong and matter. To learn more, visit About Air Products.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including paid holidays and vacation, affordable medical, dental, life insurance and retirement plans. You will be eligible for benefits and be 100% vested in your retirement benefits on your first day of employment.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer (U.S.). You will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, citizenship, gender, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or veteran status.
Air Products is committed to working with and providing a reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability and you believe you need a reasonable accommodation to search for a job opening or to submit an online application, please e-mail us at [email protected] General application status inquiries are not answered by this mailbox rather you’ll receive an e-mail directly from our Career Center and/or the Talent Acquisition Specialist