Sr. Global Support Engineering Manager
Spectra-Physics, Ophir, Newport and ESI are brands within the MKS Instruments Photonics Solutions division. We provide a full range of solutions including lasers for precision industrial and scientific research applications, laser and LED measurement, beam profiling, precision motion control, optical tables and vibration isolation systems, photonics instruments, temperature sensing, opto-mechanical components, optical elements, and systems for flexible PCB laser processing, high-speed MLCC testing, and CO2-laser-based systems HDI PCB and IC substrate manufacturing. MKS Photonics Solutions enhance our customers’ capabilities and productivity in the semiconductor, advanced electronics and specialty industrial markets.
We are looking for an exceptional Sr. Global Support Engineering Manager who can oversee the technical support phase of New Product Introduction (NPI) and sustaining support of field service engineers who are diagnosing, troubleshooting, and repairing complex optical and electro-mechanical production systems, including parts handling, delivery, and laser processing.
In this role, you will:
- Oversee a team of technical support engineers and technical writers.
- Manage and improve the team’s escalation support capabilities, where first-line product support has failed to isolate or fix problems in malfunctioning equipment.
- Drive implementation of Knowledge Centered Service, knowledge architecture, and other process improvements that advance the team’s efficacy and efficiency.
- Champion improvement of design, reliability and maintenance problems or bugs with Product Engineering and Product Management.
- Analyze and report on escalation, troubleshooting, and parts/system failure/usage data.
- Facilitate data-driven improvements to field training, process, design, and documentation in collaboration with Regional Service Managers, Quality & Reliability Engineering, and Product Engineering.
- Represent Tech Support Engineering and Technical Writing at NPI and other management-level meetings.
- Lead or participate in structured 8D problem solving activities, facilitating failure analysis if needed.
What will you bring to the team, along with your drive and emotional intelligence is:
- Bachelor's degree, or equivalent
- 5-10 years of related experience in optical and/or electromechanical systems; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Semiconductor or similar high-tech capital equipment experience is preferred.
- 2+ years of team leadership experience with proven ability to motivate, organize, and coach team members.
- Ability to effectively communicate and present information either verbally or written to both engineers and executives.
- Strong analytic, interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills.
- Ability to develop technical action plans and manage complex cross-functional tasks and projects.
- Motivated, self-driven, positive approach to problem solving.
- Ability to succeed in a fast-paced, rapidly changing, high tech environment.
- Portland, Oregon based, with infrequent regional or international travel, sometimes on short notice in support of customers. Requires appropriate work authorization to freely enter and exit primarily Asia Pacific countries. Travel may be expected up to 10%.
- KCS v6 Practices or Trainer certification
MKS is an equal opportunity employer, including disability, veteran status and all categories protected by law. Please review our EOE statements for additional details.
Globally, our policy is to recruit individuals from wide and diverse backgrounds. However, certain positions require access to controlled goods and technologies subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) or Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Applicants for these positions may need to be “U.S. persons.” “U.S. persons” are generally defined as U.S. citizens, noncitizen nationals, lawful permanent residents (or, green card holders), individuals granted asylum, and individuals admitted as refugees.
MKS Instruments, Inc. and its affiliates and subsidiaries (“MKS”) is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer: diverse candidates are encouraged to apply. We win as a team and are committed to recruiting and hiring qualified applicants regardless of race, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions), religion, age, ancestry, physical or mental disability or handicap, marital status, membership in the uniformed services, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, or any other category protected by applicable law. Hiring decisions are based on merit, qualifications and business needs. We conduct background checks and drug screens, in accordance with applicable law and company policies.
MKS is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or interview process due to a disability, please contact us at: accommodationsatMKS@mksinst.com .
If applying for a specific job, please include the requisition number (ex: RXXXX), the title and location of the roleID:uDnQdo