Sr. Hydraulic Systems Design Engineer – New Shepard
Blue Origin, LLC
We are a diverse team of collaborators, doers, and problem-solvers who are relentlessly committed to a culture of safety. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable space flight. Join us in lowering the cost of access to space and enabling Blue Origin’s vision of millions of people living and working in space to benefit Earth.
As part of a hardworking team of diverse engineers, you will provide a wide range of expertise and serve as a technical conscience for flight control and mechanical systems of the New Shepard reusable launch vehicle. You will participate in the entire design cycle including system architecture, requirements derivation, conceptual and detailed design, system performance modeling, structural analysis, manufacturing and integration support, development testing, and qualification. You will define component groups (e.g., actuators, mechanisms, valves, manifolds, piping, and sensors) including design, specification, procurement, processing, testing, and discrepancy resolution of specific components. Additionally, you will identify and implement design changes to improve system reliability and reduce operational cost, participate in verification audits of existing components and subsystems, and participate in component and subsystem level testing including planning, execution, data reduction, and analysis. Finally, you will coach, mentor, and technically assist other specialists and team members.
We are looking for someone to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and commitment to quality to positively impact safe human spaceflight. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering.
- 8+ years of hydraulic systems design experience including:
- Selecting, sizing, and designing flow, direction, and pressure control valves including check, proportional, servo, relief, counterbalance, etc.
- Selecting, sizing, and designing cylinder actuators including double acting, spring extend/retract, double rod, etc.
- Designing hydraulic systems of moderate complexity with components including valves, actuators, manifolds, accumulators, pumps, reservoirs, sensors, etc.
- Creating and interpreting Piping & Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID).
- Performing flow and pressure calculations to size systems and components.
- Experience in 3D CAD programs such as NX, CATIA, SolidWorks, Creo, Pro/E, etc.
- Proficiency in analysis including hand calculations and Finite Element Analysis.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to a culture of inclusion.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
- Proficiency with Creo, Windchill, and Ansys.
- Familiarity with typical aerospace hydraulic standards and best practices.
- Use of common aerospace structural materials and surface treatments.
- Hands-on experience with machining, building, testing, and maintaining hydraulic components and systems.
- Experience with GD&T (ASME Y14.5).
- Experience designing and testing mechanisms for deployment, locking, positioning, or similar applications for high-reliability systems.
- Experience with test instrumentation and data acquisition.
- Experience with engineering support of field operations.
- Experience with root cause analysis.
- Experience with high voltage systems.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Compensation range for on site WA applicants is $136,467 - $200,151
Compensation range for on site CA applicants is $136,467 - $200,151
Other site ranges may differ
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Washington Fair Chance Act, Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws.
Affirmative Action and Disability Accommodation
Applicants wishing to receive information on Blue Origin’s Affirmative Action Plans, or applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the application and/or interview process, please contact us at EEOCompliance@blueorigin.com.
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, paid parental leave (must be employed at time of birth or adoption), short and long-term disability, 401(k) with a company match of up to 5%, and an Education Support Program available after 1 year of service.
Paid Time Off: Up to four (4) weeks per year based on weekly scheduled hours, and up to 14 company-paid holidays for all regular employees (including part-time), fixed-term, and interns.
Discretionary bonus: Employees may be eligible for discretionary bonuses in addition to base pay. Bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results.ID:uDnQdo