Sr. Optical Engineer (Lens Design)
Ann Arbor, MI
Base Pay Range: $105,700.00 - $179,700.00 AnnuallyPrimary Location: USA-MI-Ann Arbor-KLAKLA’s total rewards package for employees may also include participation in performance incentive programs and eligibility for additional benefits identified below. Interns are eligible for some of the benefits identified below. Our pay ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed above reflects the minimum and maximum pay for this position in the primary location identified in this posting. Actual pay depends on several factors, including location, job-related skills, experience, and relevant education level or training. If applicable, your recruiter can share more about the specific pay range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Company OverviewKLA is a global leader in diversified electronics for the semiconductor manufacturing ecosystem. Virtually every electronic device in the world is produced using our technologies. No laptop, smartphone, wearable device, voice-controlled gadget, flexible screen, VR device or smart car would have made it into your hands without us. KLA invents systems and solutions for the manufacturing of wafers and reticles, integrated circuits, packaging, printed circuit boards and flat panel displays. The innovative ideas and devices that are advancing humanity all begin with inspiration, research and development. KLA focuses more than average on innovation and we invest 15% of sales back into R&D. Our expert teams of physicists, engineers, data scientists and problem-solvers work together with the world’s leading technology providers to accelerate the delivery of tomorrow’s electronic devices. Life here is exciting and our teams thrive on tackling really hard problems. There is never a dull moment with us.
Group/DivisionWith over 40 years of semiconductor process control experience, chipmakers around the globe rely on KLA to ensure that their fabs ramp next-generation devices to volume production quickly and cost-effectively. Enabling the movement towards advanced chip design, KLA's Global Products Group (GPG), which is responsible for creating all of KLA’s metrology and inspection products, is looking for the best and the brightest research scientist, software engineers, application development engineers, and senior product technology process engineers. Central Engineering is KLA's largest engineering organization comprised of 9 Centers-of-Excellence (CoE) in various disciplines applied across all product groups in the company. These CoE include Handling & Automation, Precision Motion Control, Sensors & Image Acquisition, Platform Design, and Packaging Engineering, among others. Talent includes over 500 engineers across global centers in Israel, China, India, and the US. Each CoE contributes not just talent and deliverables per discipline toward product programs, but also subject matter expertise, best practices, roadmaps, specialized facilities, apparatus, models, and analytics. These differentiate KLA not only in WHAT we do, but also in HOW we do it.
Job Description/Preferred Qualifications
KLA is looking for an Optical Engineer in our Central Engineering Group in Ann Arbor. The optical engineer will lead the development, design and testing of complex optical sub-systems for the next generation of KLA tools!
In this role successful candidates will be responsible for:
- Lead specification, design and performance verification of optical sub-systems.
- Design, model and analyze complex optical systems to meet requirements within specified physical limits of precision optical instruments using software tools including sequential and non-sequential ray tracing software (Zemax, CODEV, LightTools, or equivalent).
- Lead stray-light analysis, polarization calculations, scatter modeling, physical-optics modeling (incl. diffraction, interference, scattering) and Fourier analysis.
- Design and/or specify high-precision optical components and modules, including lasers, LEDs, optical fibers, cameras, detectors, lens systems and acousto-optical devices.
- Lead prototype build, alignment, optimization and performance verification of optical systems.
- Trouble shoot and analyze sophisticated optical modules & systems.
- Support teams across product divisions within KLA.
- Work efficiently in multi-functional teams to integrate optical system in industry-leading KLA products.
- Collaborate with vendors to jointly develop high-precision components.
- Guide the preparation of documentation of optical systems to transfer to manufacturing and field service.
- Education and experience in optical module and system design
- Solid understanding of designing, tolerancing and testing of optical systems and modules
- Deep knowledge of light sources including plasma light sources, lasers and LEDs
- Experience in assembly and alignment of optical systems and modules
- Expertise of optical fabrication and metrology methods
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Occasional travel for training and project support within the US and internationally is required.
Minimum QualificationsDoctorate (Academic) Degree and related work experience of 3 years; Master's Level Degree and related work experience of 6 years; Bachelor's Level Degree and related work experience of 8 years
The company offers a total rewards package that is competitive and comprehensive including but not limited to the following: medical, dental, vision, life, and other voluntary benefits, 401(K) including company matching, employee stock purchase program (ESPP), student debt assistance, tuition reimbursement program, development and career growth opportunities and programs, financial planning benefits, wellness benefits including an employee assistance program (EAP), paid time off and paid company holidays, and family care and bonding leave.
KLA is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other status protected by applicable law. We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request accommodation.ID:uDnQdo