Systems Engineer 1 – ClearVision
Universal Avionics, an Elbit Systems company
Want to be part of a team that's leading the future of aviation? Universal Avionics seeks a highly motivated and agile thinker with a strong understanding of avionics system architecture and design.
As our Avionics Systems Engineer III for our Clear Vision program, you will be responsible for the life-cycle development activities for medium complexity system changes. These include applying systems engineering processes to update and create new avionics products through certification, independent task estimating, demonstration of product compliance to customer and/or regulatory requirements, and in-service product support. This position requires general to intermittent supervision on work assignments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
Working knowledge of UA's systems development processes and procedures to complete the following tasks:
- For moderately complex, medium-scale projects and product changes:
- Estimate the time required to complete assigned tasks.
- Develop (or revise) content for the functional description document, the system requirements data, the interface description document, design verification test procedures, and human factors test procedures.
- Ensure system requirements are allocated from customer and industry documents and traced to subsystems e.g., hardware and software.
- Resolve documentation review comments and findings.
- Perform systems bench testing, design verification testing, human factors testing, acceptance testing, problem report testing and take action to resolve test discrepancies.
- Generate in-lab, on-aircraft, and design verification test reports.
- As applicable, provide inputs to problem reports and/or changes that include flight deck effects, operational impacts, and system safety analysis.
- Additional duties:
- Participate in product team meetings.
- Report milestone progress to managers and program management.
- Address product support and field service technical questions.
- Review product support installation manuals, operator manuals, and configuration manuals.
- Review and recommend changes to aircraft wiring diagrams.
- Review product circuit card assembly schematics and operation description documents.
- Provide technical support for environmental qualification testing.
- Author and investigate problem reports.
- Fulfill the role of Systems Lead on projects.
- Recommend improvements to systems development processes and company products.
- Support ROM estimates for business proposals.
- Mentor to other engineers on systems engineering or company products.
- Perform critical review of all Safety Engineering documentation.
- When necessary, assist with the development of hardware and/or software requirements.
- Review hardware & software requirements, and hardware & software design documents.
- When necessary, support RTCA/DO-178 software, RTCA/DO-200 tool, and RTCA/DO-254 hardware verification activities such as requirements test plan, procedures, testing, structural coverage testing, verification reports and results.
Professional Competency - To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Productivity: Good overall output level within established schedules (i.e., documentation, testing, reviews, etc.), and able to juggle multiple tasks.
Quality of Work: Great precision, clarity, and thoroughness in work on product function descriptions, specifications, and certification artifacts.
Accountability: Taking ownership of the products to be worked, required systems engineering tasks, work output quality, and project goals & milestones.
Teamwork: Proactive collaboration with cross-functional groups within the development teams and external customers, work alignment towards project goals, effective communication, and promoting a positive work environment.
Capacity for Growth: Ability to learn about and work on unfamiliar and various avionics flight systems.
Solving Technical Problems: Ability to logically and systematically detect and troubleshoot significant hardware and software product and installation defects.
Avionics Knowledge Base: Good understanding of the purpose and use of UA equipment, and the supporting interconnected sensors in the aircraft.
Certification Aspects: Knowledge and basic understanding of the regulations, processes and required deliverables for products necessary to achieve TSO and/or STC approval(s), including FARs, ACs, MOPS, etc.
Autonomy: Self-Sufficiency, self-management, ability to independently prioritize tasks.
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to perform this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) in science/engineering, or a math discipline. Four or more years of experience in systems engineering or equivalent experience.
- Proficient with a personal computer, computer operating systems, word processing, and spreadsheet programs and ability to type.
- Experience with one or more high-level programming languages, including C or C++ desirable.
- Experience with use of Matlab or similar tools for modeling is beneficial.
Ability to write professional correspondence and communicate information to other employees in English.
Ability to apply understanding of mathematics (algebra, geometry, trigonometry, probability and statistics, logic, sets and number systems).
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to assimilate information from diverse sources to form a complete situational picture and develop a plan of action to accomplish the task.
- Ability to extract system requirements from regulations and industry specifications.
Drug-free working environment. Combination of office conditions and lab environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand or sit, and participate in meetings in various physical meeting spaces throughout the facility. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Additionally, the individual is required to use hands and fingers, and may be required to reach with hands and arms. The employee must be able to speak clearly, hear and see. Required vision abilities include close vision, depth perception, color discernment and ability to adjust focus.
What motivates our team:
- Excellent benefits, including medical, vision, dental, PTO, 401k, and much more, as well as a robust health & wellness program
- Strong life-work balance
- Great company culture
- Groundbreaking work opportunities
- Impactful innovation in the avionics industry
- Passionate & dedicated team members
- A work environment that fosters training, professional development, and career advancement
Why you’ll like working here:
- Universal Avionics is a mid-sized company with all the functions and benefits of a much larger organization, so you get the best of both worlds.
- You’ll make an impact! You’ll be part of a company that is making huge strides in the safety and reliability of air travel.
- You’ll work with very motivated and skilled people who are excellent at what they do and are great mentors.
- You’ll bring your own unique skills set and passion to create a mutually beneficial working and learning environment.
- At UASC, we care about our employees, both personally and professionally.
About Universal Avionics:
Universal Avionics and its parent company, Elbit Systems, Ltd., represent decades of leadership and innovation as developers and suppliers of Head-Down Displays (HDD), Head-Up Displays (HUD), Head Wearable Displays (HWD), and Combined Vision Systems (CVS), which includes both our Enhanced Vision System (EVS) and Synthetic Vision System (SVS). Universal Avionics is also a leading manufacturer of innovative commercial avionics systems, offering retrofit and forward-fit solutions for the largest diversification of aircraft types in the industry.
To learn more about Universal Avionics, visit www.UniversalAvionics.comID:uDnQdo