Tasting Room Director
Peju Province Winery Ltd. LP
At Peju, we strive to be the highlight of every guest’s visit to the Napa Valley and our Tasting Room Director is fundamental in creating a positive and memorable experience for visitors to our winery. The Tasting Room Director embodies Peju’s values-quality, an entrepreneurial mindset, openness, respect, and integrity- and uses these values to lead by example; demonstrating a great attitude, easily adapting to sudden changes, and solving problems on the go. Working closely with the President, the Tasting Room Director serves an integral leadership role supervising a large sales staff, is involved with Peju Tasting Room’s sales strategies/goals, day-to-day top-line revenue objectives, bottom-line department profitability, and is encouraged to communicate with various departments fostering a collaborative and spirited team environment. Additional responsibilities include hiring, training, mentoring, scheduling, and timely reporting regarding key sales metrics and analyses. This position requires a proactive, results-oriented individual who promotes exceptional hospitality, exhibits a strong work ethic, and maintains a passion for outstanding sales results. Other duties as assigned.
Essential Functions :
- Grow and lead a dynamic team. Conduct hiring interviews, mentor, train, and conduct in-the-moment coaching to further develop teams.
- Ensure that the Tasting Room staff conducts themselves as brand ambassadors demonstrating positive characteristics of exceptional guest service.
- Provide leadership in all aspects of guest sales and guest hospitality by modeling the highest level of guest service and focused sales behavior at all times.
- Provide ongoing wine education to our employees and customers.
- Drive profitability and revenue generation, effectively manage operating costs to budget reviewing P&L’s monthly and consistently seek ways to increase revenue. Generate reports that address these key metrics.
- Ensure that the sales team is achieving monthly sales goals, monitor and communicate progress including traffic, revenue, AOV, Wine Club sign-ups, conversion ratios and email collection.
- Oversee discount percentages/policies, labor costs, pour costs, inventory control, and accurate reporting of foot traffic. Monitor and complete daily procedures including daily cash reconciliation, nightly BTRs, no charge slips, credits, chargebacks, transfers, and vacation requests.
- Facilitate and lead weekly Tasting Room meeting setting the tone and pace for the team.
- Mentor and work closely with the Assistant Tasting Room Manager regarding Tasting Room Team.
- Oversee daily, weekly and monthly staff scheduling.
- Perform morning pre-opening walk arounds to ensure Peju’s Tasting Room’s visual standards of excellence are being upheld.
- Communicate the company mission, vision, and values. Inspire others in a positive manner by conveying a genuine, positive and professional attitude, which drives accountability and profitability.
- Manager of the Day (MOD) assignments which includes all duties pertinent to effectively managing guest relations and open & closing duties.
- Ensure policies and procedures are followed for closing/opening, cash handling and that security of assets are secure. (safe, keys, cash)
- Lead daily pre-shift meetings, setting the expectations for the day.
- Maintains punctual, regular, and predictable attendance.
- Ensure that all employees follow all Company safety rules.
- Report and investigate any injury and/or accident, regardless of severity.
- 3 years experience as a winery Tasting Room Manager.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in revenue generation, sales management and customer engagement. Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Sales, or Business Development desired.
- Demonstrated leadership, with expertise in developing, inspiring and building engagement and trust with employees.
- Deep understanding of wine and food and consumer insights.
- Experience managing staff, schedules, budgets and business practices.
- Entrepreneurial and creative; developing new programs or guest experiences that drive profitability.
- Strong decision-making abilities.
- Ability to embrace change and deliver top results no matter the obstacle.
- Excellent communication skills; both written and oral.
- Demonstrated ability to make successful presentations to both individuals and groups.
- Extraordinary guest service and a hospitality-driven approach with guests and employees.
- Ability to project credibility, in an honest, genuine and professional manner.
- Excellent organizational and follow-up skills.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that includes evenings, weekends and holidays as required.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- TIPS certification.
- Food Handler certification.