PATS Aircraft, LLC
Job Title: Technical Writer
Pay Grade: S3
Reports To: Technical Publications Lead
FAA / DOT Safety Sensitive: No
Department: Technical Publications
FLSA Status: Exempt
Department Number: I00667
EEO1 Class: Professionals
Headcount Budget: Indirect
Last Reviewed: 7/2022
Research, develop, compose, and edit technical material (including illustrations) for reports, manuals, briefs, proposals, instruction books, catalogs, and related technical and administrative publications in print or electronic media under minimal supervision.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Observe production, developmental, and experimental activities to determine operating procedures.
- Manage project drawings, parts lists, specifications, mock-ups, and product manual to integrate operating procedure, and production sequence and detail into documents or manuals to meet production goals.
- Organize material and complete writing assignments according to set standards regarding order, clarity, conciseness, style, and terminology to ALOFT standards.
- Design, modify, and/or create illustrations as needed in support of written procedural guidance.
- Identify and incorporate engineering changes (including illustrations) into project or manual revisions.
- Research, develop, and verify flow diagrams and fault isolation procedures in support of fault isolation and troubleshooting manuals.
- Create parts breakdown tables in support of illustrated parts catalog.
- Review published materials and recommended revisions or changes in scope, format, and content.
- Perform all functions in support of manual fabrication and production, such as, copying, collating, and binding.
- Maintain records and files of work and revisions.
- Organize, format, and sequence content of document; assist in laying out material for publication.
- Perform review and editing functions to ensure technical accuracy and relevant content.
- Coordinate with other internal and external activities during the research phase to ensure technical accuracy.
- Arrange for approval, reproduction, and distribution of material.
- Document actions by completing all required time keeping records.
- Complete initial / recurrent training requirements in a timely manner.
- Other duties may be assigned.
The individual employed in this position is expected to dress appropriately (determined by area in which their work is performed), report to work on time, have excellent work habits, and have a cooperative and positive attitude in the work setting; exhibits respect and professionalism when interacting with customers, and all employees; must adhere to company policies, procedures and safety standards.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the minimum knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2-4 years of related experience in Technical Writing and/or training; prior aviation experience preferred.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills with superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the Company.
- Demonstrate proficiency in Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Illustrator, Page-Maker, Auto-Cad, and Photoshop.
- Previous experience with various engineering related software and data management systems is preferable.
- Must be capable of producing highly detailed and accurate material.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Possess the ability to write reports, correspondence, and procedural manuals that are free of grammatical, spelling and formatting errors.
- Strong research skills and the ability to work independently or with minimal supervision.
- Must be detail oriented with the ability to multi-task.
- Ability and willingness to work extended hours, when needed.
- Read, write and understand the English language.
- Ability to read, write, analyze and interpret complex contracts, legal documents, technical documents, engineering drawings, regulations, procedures and manuals.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Standard safety precautions are required in all areas where hazardous conditions exist.
Frequency of Physical Demand
Denotes the percentage of time engaged in the activity
Sitting in a stationary position
Standing / Walking
Lifting / Carrying
Pushing / Pulling
Repetitive Motion Desktop Work: Motions include use of hands for keyboarding / mouse operation, writing, handling / filing papers
Repetitive Motion Bench-Type Work: Motions include sitting / standing, twisting at the waist, use of hands, utilizing hand / powered tools to grasp, hold, operate, detect, inspect, place, position tools and parts
Work at Heights: Motions include ascending / descending / work atop stairs, ramps, ladders, stands and / or scaffolding
Overhead Work: Motions include reaching, grasping, use of tools and fine motor skills overhead
Work in tight / cramped areas: Motions include crouching, squatting, sitting, kneeling, crawling
Driving: Example vehicles include cars, trucks, vans, forklift, lawnmowers, tractors, golf carts, tow-vehicles
Other Physical Requirements
Confined Space Entry Program Requirement: Pulmonary function testing, mask fit, regular use of respirator
Vision Test Requirement: corrected vision to 20/30; color vision
Regular Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Use Required: Safety glasses, splash shield, Tyvek suits, chemical gloves, cut-resistant gloves, hearing protection, respirator, fall protection
- Occasional travel may be required; the employee filling this position must be willing to travel on short notice and possibly for extended periods.
The following work environment and characteristics described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Standard office environment.
- Occasional exposure to noise, smells, dust and fumes typically associated in an industrial manufacturing / aviation environment.
All employees have a responsibility to cooperate in promoting and maintaining a safe and healthy work environment, to take reasonable care of their own health and safety and to encourage the health and safety of all other team members.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive description of all work requirements and responsibilities. The job description does not constitute an employment contract and is subject to change as needed.