(USA) Senior Director I, Software Engineering
What you'll do...
As a Senior Director of Software Engineering and Architecture you’ll set a high bar for architecture, automation (SRE) and quality in the People Technology organization and play a critical role in shaping and executing our software development strategy. Your leadership will influence the delivery of robust and reliable software products and seek to optimize our testing processes.
Leadership and Strategy:
- Provide strategic vision and leadership for the automation testing team, aligning testing objectives with overall software engineering goals.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including software development, quality assurance, and quality engineering, to develop and implement an integrated testing strategy.
- Identify and implement industry best practices, emerging technologies, and methodologies to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of automation testing.
What you'll do:
An individual must be able to successfully perform the essential functions of this position with or without a reasonable accommodation.
What knowledge you will require:
Solution Design: Requires knowledge of: Software architecture; Distributed systems; Scalability; Design patterns; Disaster Recovery; Tech Stacks; Minimum Viable Product- MVP; Non-Functional Requirements; Telemetry. To create simple, modular, extensible and functional design in adherence to the requirements for multiple products/solutions within a domain. Understand Customer requirements and analyze the gaps between existing architecture and customer requirements. Analyze system performance impacting the complete product for non-functional requirements like reliability, operability, performance efficiency and security. Create detailed design using mock screens, pseudo codes and detailed functional logic of the modules for an entire product. Finalize the tech stack (For example MEAN, LAMP etc.) - for products/systems based on the business needs. Review the MVP to uncover risks and check for performance and usability; guide the team during MVP creation. Drive design of software, production and pre- production environments and deployment pipeline to continuously generate records for telemetry.
Testing: Requires knowledge of: Test case preparation; Test Objectives; Test Strategy; Test types; Test tools (E.g. - Automation - Selenium, Agile - Jira, Mobile - Eggplant etc.); Test Environment; Root cause analysis. To translate customer requirements into test strategy (Applicable to IC & PL). Determine the testing tools (E.g. - Automation - Selenium, Agile - Jira, Mobile - Eggplant etc.) , domains, environments and test types to be employed to achieve testing objectives (Applicable to IC & PL). Select, introduce and implement various tools for testing (Applicable to IC & PL). Identify scope and method of testing for each requirement (Applicable only for IC). Ensure that the test cases cover all the test scenarios (E.g. for functionality, performance, security, integration, data migration and accessibility )for the product/solution requirements (Applicable only for IC). Drive execution of test cases to test the code and detect errors and defects for the entire product (Applicable only for IC).
What you'll bring:
Team Management and Development:
- Lead, mentor, and inspire a team of automation testing engineers, fostering a culture of continuous learning and innovation.
- Set clear performance expectations, conduct regular performance reviews, and support career development plans for team members.
- Foster a collaborative and inclusive work environment that encourages open communication and constructive feedback.
Automation Testing Execution:
- Oversee the planning, design, and implementation of automated testing frameworks and test suites to ensure comprehensive test coverage across all products and features.
- Establish and maintain quality standards and guidelines for automation testing practices.
- Review and assess automated test results, identify issues, and work closely with development teams to resolve defects and improve software quality.
- Continuously analyze and optimize testing processes, methodologies, and tools to enhance efficiency and reduce time-to-market for software releases.
- Champion the adoption of Agile and DevOps practices, driving continuous integration, continuous delivery, and continuous testing initiatives.
Collaboration and Communication:
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to define testing requirements, prioritize test cases, and plan release cycles effectively.
- Communicate testing progress, results, and issues to executive leadership and stakeholders, providing clear insights into software quality.
About Walmart Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people. That’s what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We’re a team of software engineers, data scientists, cybersecurity expert's and service professionals within the world’s leading retailer who make an epic impact and are at the forefront of the next retail disruption. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations. We are people-led and tech-empowered. We train our team in the skillsets of the future and bring in experts like you to help us grow. We have roles for those chasing their first opportunity as well as those looking for the opportunity that will define their career. Here, you can kickstart a great career in tech, gain new skills and experience for virtually every industry, or leverage your expertise to innovate at scale, impact millions and reimagine the future of retail.
Flexible, hybrid work:
We use a hybrid way of working that is primarily in office coupled with virtual when not onsite. Our campuses serve as a hub to enhance collaboration, bring us together for purpose and deliver on business needs. This approach helps us make quicker decisions, remove location barriers across our global team and be more flexible in our personal lives.
Benefits: Beyond our great compensation package, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.Option 1: Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering, computer information systems, software engineering, or related area and7 years’ experience in software engineering or related area.
Option 2: 9 years’ experience in software engineering or related area.
4 years' supervisory experience.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.Master’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, computer information systems, software engineering, or related area and 5 years' experience in software engineering or related area.