Vice President, Global Head of Litigation and Investigations
Gilead Sciences, Inc.
Foster City, CA
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.At Gilead we believe every employee deserves a great leader. As a people leader now or in the future, we expect that you will model and create an environment of inclusion, be intentionally focused on the hiring, development, growth and retention of talent, and empower teams to align and achieve goals.
Gilead Sciences is seeking a Vice President, Global Head of Litigation and Investigations (“Global Head of Litigation”) to join our Legal Team. Reporting to the Executive Vice President, Corporate Affairs and General Counsel, the successful candidate will serve as a key member of the legal leadership team and be an enterprise business partner across Gilead’s business. The Global Head of Litigation will be responsible for the strategic planning and management of all company litigation, government investigations, and internal investigations.
As an attorney with leadership and strategic planning experience, the Global Head of Litigation will help set and execute Gilead’s global litigation strategy. This includes effectively and efficiently managing and resolving global litigation disputes, pre-litigation challenges, partnering with and managing outside counsel, including spend and budgets, and collaborating with internal stakeholders on corporate disclosures and communications. The Global Head of Litigation will also be accountable for commercial, product liability, antitrust, tax, securities, intellectual property, employment, and false claims act litigation matters. They will oversee and manage government investigations, including internal investigations relating to policies and laws, responses to government and third-party subpoenas, as well as other requests from state, federal, and international regulators.
The Global Head of Litigation will also be responsible for maintaining and enhancing compliance with employment laws on a worldwide basis, including resolution of employee and contingent worker disputes, directing internal investigations into allegations of unlawful employment practices/policies, and providing global employment law advice and counsel to HR functions and the business.
The Global Head of Litigation will lead a team of experienced, highly successful and well-regarded in-house attorneys and staff, and must have experience leading people within a sophisticated part of the business. The successful candidate will have high level of emotional intelligence, infuse a great culture, be a self-starter, and be able to work both independently and collaboratively across teams, and to counsel and present to executive leadership, including C-Suite executives.
This role will be based in Foster City, CA.
- Develop and execute a comprehensive global litigation and investigations strategy that aligns with Gilead’s business objectives while managing potential risks, costs, and budgets effectively, including preparing for and participating in trials and advising on and negotiating settlements.
- Manage a high performing team of lawyers and legal services professionals to defend and advise Gilead on all litigation and pre-litigation disputes, government and internal investigations, and compliance with employment laws-, including managing and coordinating international litigation matters, and collaborating with local counsel in various jurisdictions.
- Advise and manage team of attorneys and legal services professionals who handle all of Gilead’s internal investigations relating to potential violations of company policies and laws across the globe.
- Lead and oversee all IP litigation matters, including patent and trade secret disputes. Collaborate with the Intellectual Property team to protect and enforce the company's IP rights worldwide.
- Manage global team of attorneys who provide legal advice on Gilead’s compliance with employment laws on a worldwide basis, including high risk terminations, reorganizations, complex leaves of absence and accommodations, compensation, and wage & hour laws.
- Manage and resolve legal disputes from current and former employees and contingent workers, including wage and hour class actions and single plaintiff lawsuits alleging discrimination, harassment, and retaliation, as well as state and federal administrative agency charges and pre-litigation demands.
- Direct privileged internal investigations conducted by Employee Relations into allegations of unlawful employment practices or policies, and manage high-risk situations involving current employees in partnership with HR.
- Make necessary day-to-day decisions regarding specific issues with opposing counsel, witnesses, and outside counsel.
- Evaluate opposing counsel’s positions on specific issues, settlement options and recommend a course of action to pursue to senior management.
- Develop and manage the litigation and investigations budget, ensuring cost-effective allocation of resources and evaluating outside counsel performance to achieve desired outcomes. Be accountable for budget compliance, anticipating when spend exceeds original estimates.
- Build and maintain positive relationships and drive cross-functional collaboration, partnering closely with internal stakeholders, including the Gilead Leadership team, Public and Government Affairs, HR, commercial and compliance divisions, to provide legal guidance and support on litigation-related matters.
- In partnership with Public Affairs, develop crisis response plans for potential litigation and investigation scenarios, guiding the organization through potential legal challenges, while protecting the company’s reputation.
- Maintain knowledge of relevant and developing case law and develops a working knowledge of litigation, government investigations and employment law matters.
- Identify opportunities for process improvements and implement best practices for the efficient and effective management of litigation and investigations.
- Lead, inspire, and develop the litigation and investigations team, fostering a high-performance culture. Provide mentorship, guidance, and professional development opportunities to enhance the team’s capabilities and effectiveness.
- 15+ years of relevant compliance and industry experience
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) or equivalent international degree preferred, with active membership in a Bar Association or equivalent body. Minimum of 15 years of experience supporting large, global pharmaceutical companies to execute a complex litigation strategy at scale. Proven track record of identifying, raising, and solving challenging issues related to general litigation, government investigations and internal investigations.
- International experience
- Experience and expertise in advising on and coordinating advice on matters across multiple jurisdictions. Proven ability to successfully and creatively manage litigation outside of the US, including dealing with small national and niche boutique foreign law firms, as well as ensuring close alignment with US litigation strategy where necessary.
- Broad and complex litigation experience
- Strong experience working within a global organization and a proven track record and experience managing high-stakes, complex, international litigation matters through trial and appellate court proceedings. Substantive expertise in litigation and investigations and related legal issues, including anti-corruption and healthcare compliance. Experience and expertise in advising on employment law issues and managing employment law litigation on a worldwide basis is required.
- Therapeutic expertise
- Strong understanding of pharmaceutical regulations, compliance frameworks, and industry standards. Ideally brings experience with a broad range of therapeutic areas including oncology. As Gilead continues to expand its portfolio in oncology, the Head of Litigation will ideally understand the unique opportunities and challenges within the oncology space, particularly immuno-oncology, and biologics.
- Team leadership experience at scale
- Inspiring people manager with a proven record of mentoring and leading a diverse team globally.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'Know Your Rights' poster.
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.ID:uDnQdo