Warehouse Forklift Operator
Colonial Materials, Inc.
New England’s top construction materials suppliers joined forces in 2020 to serve the full needs of commercial and residential builders, contractors, and construction professionals across Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maine, and New Hampshire. New England Gypsum (NEG) and Robert N. Karpp Company (Karpp) are experts, with decades of experience in their respective local markets. Most of our employees at New England Gypsum have worked in the building materials industry for more than 20 years. All of New England Gypsum’s employees pride themselves in being hard-working, safe, and professional in their key roles and they are the backbone of our success as a company.
As a member of the GMS family, New England Gypsum shares a common passion for "safety-first" customer service. GMS is the leading North American distributor of gypsum wallboard, acoustical ceiling products and other specialty building materials. Founded in 1971, GMS now operates a network of more than 250 distribution centers nationwide. For more information about GMS, visit www.gms.com or any one of our subsidiary company websites.
Summary of Position:
New England Gypsum Supply, Inc. Forklift Operators will be responsible for areas of warehouse maintenance, shipping/receiving, product storage, and delivery set-up.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Maintain health and safety compliance in accordance with company policy
- Prepare orders by processing requests: pull accurate materials and place in appropriate area for customer pick up or delivery; loading and unloading trucks as necessary
- Maintain inventory controls through minimizing materials damage and ensuring order accuracy
- Be able to organize the warehouse and manage bin locations
- Establish, maintain and promote high standards of customer service
- Ensure that equipment is maintained to company operating standards
- Cuts and stages outbound orders prior to the crew’s return, and the night before the crews’ departure in the morning.
- Loads delivery trucks efficiently and quickly with the correct balance and weight for truck size (maximum 30 minute turnaround time)
- Loads trucks with 100% accuracy for product type and quantity
- Drives forklift safely and operate equipment within the guidelines for efficient and safe operation
- Reports all maintenance problems with equipment to yard manager immediately
- Completes VCR form on forklift
- Ability to self-manage, show initiative and be proactive
- Communicate professionally, both verbally and in writing to coworkers and customers
- Minimum of 2 years forklift operating experience
- High school diploma preferred
- Ability to speak Spanish is preferred
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50%
- Must be able to lift 100 lbs.
- Frequently, will move about inside the warehouse
- Must be able to operate warehouse machinery
- Must be able to communicate with team and management and be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
- Constantly in warehouse environment
- Must be able to problem solve and prioritize tasks
- Must be able to manage stress depending on tasks
- Must be able to multitask
- Must be able to receive information
- Must be able to quickly communicate solutions if problems occur
- Must be able to demonstrate a high degree of sound judgement
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability & Life Insurance
- Paid holidays & vacation days
This job description is subject to change at any time.
Launch your career with a national building materials distributor and discover opportunities for growth and advancement. Our people have the independence and authority to make a difference. We invest in relationships, and every person is important. Our highest priority is serving others. We passionately pursue a safe work environment along with a relentless focus on operational excellence. We believe you can never go wrong doing the right thing.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER