Welder In Training
Fincantieri ACE Marine
Sturgeon Bay, WI
Position Title: Welder in Training
Location of Position: United States – Wisconsin – Sturgeon Bay
Business Group: Fincantieri Bay Shipbuilding
Position Type: Full-Time; Permanent; Non-Exempt
Reports To: Weld Department Head
Position Summary: Weld Trainees will learn a variety of skills as well as on-the-job experience during our 6-week training program. Trainees are taught by qualified teachers and skilled work site mentors to prepare them for a promising career. Upon successful completion of the course, weld trainees will be responsible for welding equipment, parts, interiors and exteriors of ships, and shipyard buildings at our vast, 63-acre facility.
Training may cover the following over the course of our 5-week training program:
- Introduction to FBS tools and their proper application within the shipyard.
- Thorough explanation on proper PPE to be worn while working as a shipyard welder.
- Demonstration on proper Flux core welding techniques.
- Practice flat, horizontal, vertical & overhead weld beads on plate.
- Practice horizontal and vertical fillet welds.
- Practice multiple pass flat, horizontal, vertical & overhead fillet welds.
- Explanation of shipyard welding abbreviations & shop instructions (weld repair/pickup marks).
- Practice multiple pass horizontal & vertical groove welds.
- Demonstration on proper carbon arc gouging techniques.
- Begin working towards passing a basic horizontal & vertical groove weld test.
- Successfully pass the basic horizontal & vertical groove weld test.
- Weld in simulated production environments.
- Working off of a ladder, kneeling under a table, and welding outside in the elements.
- Practice horizontal & vertical ceramic tape root pass welds.
- Successfully pass the basic horizontal & vertical groove weld test using a ceramic backing strip.
- Weld simulated production welds.
- Overall review and demonstration of workmanship skills learned.
- Watertight collars.
- Bulb angle groove welds.
- Corner weld wraps.
- Weld wraps around mouse holes.
- Adhere to attendance policies as attendance is an essential function of the job.
- Have an ability and willingness to engage in highly energetic pursuits on the waterfront.
- Maintain a commitment to and promote the Quality and Environmental, Health & Safety Policies.
- Abide by all organizational policies and procedures.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Being Resilient – Rebounding from setbacks and adversity when facing difficult situations. Using every situation as a tool to learn and grow within the workforce.
- Demonstrates Self-Awareness – Using a combination of feedback and reflection to gain productive insight into personal strengths and weaknesses.
Fincantieri Bay Shipbuilding (FBS) is located in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. With roots dating back to 1918, we currently exist as an industry leader in new construction, repair, and major conversions. The FBS portfolio includes articulated tug-barge units, OPA 90-compliant vessels, dredges and dredging support equipment, and offshore supply vessels along with specializing in Great Lakes self-unloading vessels. We strive to be the shipbuilder of choice in safety, quality, value and dependability by offering innovative and competitive maritime solutions tailored to our customers’ needs. Our mission is to build, repair and sustain maritime vessels that proudly supply, service and defend our nation and the world.
Fincantieri Bay Shipbuilding provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. We promote a Drug Free Work Environment and require pre-employment drug testing as well as mandatory random drug testing.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, email our Human Resources Department at [email protected].ID:uDnQdo